Unsurprisingly, starting a food blog can be detrimental to your diet. So we decided to be ‘healthy’ and make salad for once. When Number Two told us she was going to make us a salad with sweet chili dressing and pesto, we were dubious, to say the least.
We regret our rather vocal doubts now – this salad was delicious. We are all entirely sold.
You will need:
For the salad
Lettuce, washed and ripped into reasonably sized pieces.
2 red peppers, washed, cut into strips
2 Avocado’s, peeled and cut into 1cm wide strips
1 bag of flaked almonds
1 jar of your favorite green pesto (alternatively home-made pesto, but we were just too lazy)
For the sweet chilli dressing
6 tbsp sweet chili sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp freshly grated or ground ginger
a big dash of lemon juice
pepper and salt to taste
For the chicken:
5 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- Heat some oil in a frying pan. Fry your chicken strips until cooked through.
- Toast the almond flakes in a pan until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the ingredients for the salad as mentioned above.
- Combine all ingredients for the sweet chilli dressing. You might need to add more sweet chilli sauce depending on your taste-buds-preference.
- Mix the lettuce and peppers with the dressing and serve on a plate.
- Top with avocado, almonds, chicken and dollops of pesto.
One two three four – SCORE
[Numerical ratings are out of four, where four is best/healthiest/hardest.]
Taste: 4, considering its a salad.
Difficulty: 1 – easy-peasy but relatively time consuming for a salad.
Healthiness: 3.5 – despite sweet chili sauce being full of sugar.
Cost: Many people would already have most of the ingredients for the sauce – if you have to buy the sweet chili sauce and soy sauce it could get a bit pricey.
Overall: 3.<keymash> Yum Yum Yum.