The essence of this salad is in the pomegranate seeds. Add those crunchy sweet pops to anything and its taste will magically transform to a gourmet level. Ok not quite, but almost. I really only discovered the diversity of pomegranate when in a beach club in South Africa. They had a pomegranate mojito. It was amazing. Best mojito ever.
Warm Couscous Salad with Chicken, Rocket and Pomegranate seeds
175ml chicken stock
3 tbsp olive oil
2 chicken breasts, diced
1 onion, roughly chopped
Seeds of 1 pomegranate
Juice of half a lemon
A pinch of sugar
Salt and pepper
- Heat the chicken stock until boiling. Remove from the heat, add the couscous and one tablespoon of olive oil. Cover and soak for 10 minutes.
- Season the diced chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and chicken until browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sized bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the juice of half a lemon and a dash or worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the couscous is done, loosen it up with a fork. Throw into the bowl with the sauce, along with the chicken, rocket and pomegranate seeds. Mix. Taste. Add some more lemon juice. Season.
One two three four – SCORE
[Numerical ratings are out of four, where four is best/healthiest/hardest.]
Difficulty: 1.5 (deductions for getting the seeds out of the pomegranate… a very messy business. Apart from that really simple.)
Healthiness: 575 calories according to Mrs. Wildeisen.
Cost: Depending where you live, pomegranate can be expensive. Apart from that, it’s affordable.