It shouldn’t take you long to guess which two masterminds of our group are behind this post. One of the most beautiful combinations known to the baking world strikes again: take two on the chocolate and orange. Recently having moved to London, as a food lover, one explores all grocery stores, little cafes, restaurants and bakeries in the area. Surprised yet excited, I was happy to note that this combination has been commercialized over here. Who knew chocolate orange kit kats exist? Chocolate orange flavored smarties? Chocolate orange macarons in Fortnum & Mason? Who would think they’d stumble across chocolate orange cupcakes in every cupcake shop? Well done to the English for that, maybe you could spread your wisdom to the mainland europeans by the end of the year!
These cupcakes were inspired by a bag of mini jaffa cakes which had been sitting in the cupboard for quite a while. Initially we wanted to make vanilla cupcakes with an orange marmalade center “jaffa cake style”… but then we gave in. Luckily we changed our minds…the cupcakes were great! Number three’s mother could not stop eating the frosting (which we thankfully had made mountains of).
Hummingbird Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
Note the snazzy little cupcake stands.
makes 12-16 depending on your tray, we made 24 smaller ones
70g unsalted butter, softened
210g caster sugar
105g soft light brown sugar
1tsp vanilla essence
1tbsp finely grated orange zest
255g plain flour
50g cocoa powder
2tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
240ml whole milk
for the icing
600g icing sugar
100g unsalted butter, softened
250g cream cheese
60g cocoa powder
3tsp finely grated orange zest
mini jaffa cakes to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and fill the cupcake try with paper cases.
- Cream together the butter and both sugars until pale and fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla essence and the orange zest.
- Sift together the remaining ingredients. Add to the creamed mixture with the milk and continue beating with your mixer until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between your paper cases, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes (depends on the size, we left ours in for only just 15) until the sponges spring back when you press them. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: whisk the icing sugar with the butter until crumbly and lumpless. Add the cream cheese, cocoa powder and continue to mix. Finally add the orange zest and stir in by hand (You may add more orange zest if you like).
- Frost the cupcakes and decorate with a mini jaffa cake each.
One two three four – SCORE
[Numerical ratings are out of four, where four is best/healthiest/hardest/cheapest.]
Taste: 3.95, we have yet to compare these cupcakes with those from the Hummingbird Bakery, so no top marks just yet.
Difficulty: 1. Very easy.
Cost: 4, you should have most of the ingredients in your kitchen already